Project undertaking by:
Parallel Integration together with
21st Century Skills and
Educational Methodology: In the steps of the
UN SDGs on Education.
21st Century Skills are a set of skills necessary for a person to develop employability and the ability to best integrate into the work force and modern society. These skills can be developed and practiced from an early age and their development is influenced by the extent to which the child’s environment provides him with stimuli and support. One of the key ways in which children develop these skills is to play various activities, in a safe space for multi-faceted experimentation of different life challenges, as well as a place to express the child’s inner world.
The Vehicle for the 21st Century Skills: “Books and Things“
The “Books and Things” Educational Centre provides a complementary opportunity for formal education; trainees participation in various activities (sports, music, movement, science, art, agriculture, and environment) where they can experience practically, and develop the skills the project has chosen to focus on. By this, the center encourages positive learning habits, developmental play and culture by promoting learning, advancement and creativity. “Books and Things” educational initiatives also offer opportunities for parents and children to develop constructive communication habits through structured play. Sports, performing and visual arts, games and science are used as conduits for these activities.
The Worthwhile Agenda: The “Books and Things” Educational Center in Ghana operates projects that are designed to be sustainable and maintained by the local population, after volunteers return to their homes. The projects meet local needs in the areas of Education and Health Education.
EDUCATION: The Center’s educational ideology operates in the spirit of progressive education, emphasizing the vision of each child’s individual development, uniqueness, and strengths as a compass for their educational process. Hence, we integrate and provide the following:
1. Operating an informal educational community center, which invites children and adults from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds to participate in and benefit from educational programming.
2. Organizing a youth movement for academically and intellectually gifted young adults and teach leadership skills to cultivate their potential to implement community activities.
3. Facilitating school sports programs that reinforce values such as leadership, confidence, teamwork, sportsmanship and communication.
4. Increasing book accessibility and improve reading comprehension by bringing a mobile library to the community.
5. Promoting self-esteem, motivation, critical reasoning, creativity, emotional expression and discovery through fine arts such as dance, singing, acting and art.
6. Strengthening employment skills and independence, developing the tools necessary for a growing technological world by providing access to ICT education and Computers.
7. HEALTH EDUCATION “Books and Things” as a Tool in providing Basic Health and Wellness:
Providing education on health issues such as: nutrition, personal hygiene, biology, physical fitness, the environment and illness prevention.
Conducting health campaigns in schools to teach and provide practical tools to reinforce a healthy lifestyle (e.g. soap making workshop and health day).
Engaging with the local population in churches, town halls and local community gatherings to teach the community about issues such as: mental health, physical fitness, disease prevention, biology, etc.
NOW, THE BIG PUSH
The ‘Books and Things’ educational concept thrives on appropriate infrastructure in promoting the development of skills. That is why we want
YOU to be that hand to render
SUPPORT for our work, as well as the establishment of the
Educational Center. Join us!